Thursday, May 15, 2008

Self Check-Outs

Self check outs are a blessing and a curse. They are fast and easy, and the lines almost always move faster then the other lines. They've been around for some time now and I would think that everyone has used them. I do remember that I was a bit nervous the first time I used one but it was so simple now thats about all I ever use.

The worst is at Home Depot where if you buy something small and doesn't weight very much, after you scan it the weight thingy doesn't register it as being put in the bag. "Please put the item in the bag, please put the item in the bag" ITS THERE!!!

But worse then that is when your in a hurry or even not in a hurry at the grocery store and people using the self-check outs are taking soooo long. How hard is it? It's basic and self explanatory! My 4 year old knows how do it and even insist that she scan the groceries. Maybe they should start teaching people how to use self check outs in school or maybe the stores should have classes that people can take.

Tonight at the grocery store was great. First the Smiths we go to always has long lines, they never have more then two checkers and the self check out lines are always long. Finally I'm next in line and it felt like I was there forever. One lady was just standing there for like five minutes and I couldn't understand why until her husband brought her purse to her. Then another guy couldn't get the money taker to take his bills and another lady couldn't get her credit card working.

I would hate the job of the checker who has to help people at the self check out. They probably get so tired of explaining to people how to work it. I think it would be fun to take a full basket of groceries through the self check out. I'm sure that would make a lot of people mad.

Note:
I hope I don't offend anyone with this post. I sometimes have a hard time with the upc codes.

4 comments:

Preston and Keri said...

Well, it's sad to say but if they did have a school on self checkouts, I would definatley need to enroll.
I am one of those people that you hate. For some reason it never works for me and the poor lady always has to help me. I've started avoiding self checkout for the respect of other people!

Unknown said...

Well now I feel bad. I don't hate "those people" it's just frustrating. Hope I didn't offend you or anyone else.

BJ and Steph said...

I was laughing the whole time that I was reading this!! Probably cause I can relate...I have been the one that makes people wait and the one frustrated at the people making me wait.:)

Deb and Stan said...

Hey, I have a method....
If it's not heavy enough to register on the "weight thingey", I give it a good SLAM on the platform. Works every time!