Friday, May 9, 2008

Coco


Growing up we always had a dog. Kima was the first dog that I remember, she was a very good dog. Then Odie, a very fat dog and with Odie we had Sara a large Shepard/malamute mix who liked to bite people. Everyone was scared of her. My dad and myself were the only ones who could control her except when she would get out of the yard and run around the neighborhood. After Sara we had Misty and Odie until Odie was gone. Now Misty is gone and my parents got Juno who is a little fur ball. Juno likes to attack hair and sometimes when we're just sitting around not at my parents, Cody will just start talking about Juno attacking his head.

All of this is working up to Coco. T has wanted a dog since we were married but she didn't want to get one while Sam her dog at her parents house was still around. Sam passed last summer and she has been talking about getting a dog. I have picked up dog crap all of my life. I'm not a fan of dog crap and I hate it in the grass. Even when you do pick it up, it leaves crap on the grass. Gross!!! I like walking around the yard without shoes and that's impossible with a dog and all its crap in the grass.

Still working up to Coco. Then both of my sisters get kittens, thats all b could talk about is wanting kittens. T doesn't want a cat and neither do I, had one of those around my whole childhood. I have always said no to pets, no cats, no dogs. Then one day I just changed my mind. Thought that it would be good for the kids and for T when I'm out of town. We started looking for a dog. There are so many dogs for sale I had no idea, and their expensive! Whatever happened to free dogs?

We thought about getting one from a shelter, most of those said they weren't good with kids and we wanted a smaller dog so that limited it even further. We ended up getting Coco from a soldier who had been on medical leave for a couple of years and was heading back to Iraq. He had been home with Coco just about every day and didn't want to leave his dogs (he had two, the other one was sold before we got there or we might have ended up with both) home all day while his wife went to work and his kid to school. That should have been a warning sign of a high maintenance dog.

We brought him home and Cody was in love and b wasn't sure. She kept saying that we needed to take him back. He needs a lot of attention. A lot. He is a three year old Malti-Poo Maltese/Poodle. No potty training. For the most part he is really good with the kids, he plays kinda ruff but allows some ruff love from the kids before he growls. He snaps at Cody regularly, but most of the time Cody deserves it, pulling Coco's tall, hair, laying on him, holding his feet. B tries to give Coco loves and he sometimes growls and snaps, b hates that, yells at him. Tells Coco he's a bad dog, mean dog, stupid dog, poopoo dog, I'm never going to be your friend. She tells those things to me when I'm teasing her, just replace the dog with dad or guy.

T is in charge of Coco, feeding him and cleaning up his crap. She's slacking on cleaning up the crap but I will let it slide until after the next kid pops out. Then she better be on top of it. Right now Coco sleeps with us, that drives me nuts! Hopefully soon he will start sleeping with the kids. I'm going to lock him out of our room. Coco took a liking to T and he follows her everywhere, he even sits out in the hall while she showers.

We'll see how this goes. It might be our last dog.


Coco and Juno

1 comment:

Emily Norman said...

Brad- You should have mentioned this wanting a dog thing a couple of months ago...we totally would have given you our Barkley dog. :) We feel your pain. We are not pet people. Good luck, though!