Sunday, August 10, 2008

35th Anniversary



I spent the last week in DC for work. I have pictures and will post about it later when I get some time. It was alright, would have been a lot better if I hadn't spent a day sick as a dog in bed. Being sick is never fun but it is even worse by yourself far from home. I zombie walked around the mall on Friday, making it to most everything I wanted to see except the Jefferson Memorial. I spent too much time in the Library of Congress and consequently missed my plane home. I arrived at the airport to check in at 6pm for my 6:30 flight, up until that moment I wasn't going to accept the fact that I missed my plane. When the kiosk told me that I couldn't check in and the lady at the counter told me I was screwed, I just wanted to cry. The next flight out was at 6:30 the next morning, meaning that I had to get a hotel room, on my dime and I wasn't going to be able to sleep in my own bed that I had longed for (still a little sick). I think that I developed an ulcer or two from the whole experience.

Luckily for my marriage I made it home ok with enough time for a nap before T's ten year high school reunion. The Tooele High School class of 1998 reunion was held at Deseret Peak and we all almost died. Everyone was standing by the swimming pool when lightning struck right next to the pool, the lightning and thunder were simultaneous. I've never heard thunder that loud. The only child we had with us was Jonas and he did not like the thunder at all. He screamed his head off after that thunder and another close, loud thunder. T had a great time with all her friends while I hung out with the spouses. I had a good time also, it was fun to watch T with her high school friends.

My parents have been married 35 years today. Thats a long time to be with someone. T and I have been together, including before marriage for 8 years. That seems like a long time, I cannot even fathom 35 years. I haven't even been around for that long. My parents were high school sweethearts and my mom waited while my dad went on his mission. We spent the evening looking at their wedding pictures and old home movies of their wedding and my sisters fought over what they get when my mom dies. Yeah, my mom was right there and here they are arguing over who gets the china, jewelry and dolls when she kicks the bucket.

We had a great dinner. I made garlic-basil butter to put on our corn on the cob. It is amazingly delicious. I process a handful of fresh basil, a stem of fresh oregano, some salt and some lemon juice and a clove or two of garlic. Add a cub of butter and mix. It is amazingly good on corn and fried with zucchini. My grape and cherry tomatoes are off the hook and I'm loving it!

No comments: