Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It ain't easy being green



The new fad, or not so new anymore, is to be green. Whatever that means? Years ago it was the environmental movement, tree huggers and dirt lovers. Now its the green movement. I wonder what the next name will be? I have always been part of this group from since I can remember. Not always the most faithful or best practicing but have always felt the need to protect our precious planet. I do what little I can without going too much out my way or making life too difficult to do my part. We recycle, and................well, that's about all I can really think of that we do that would be considered green. What else is there? Hum......here I have gone years thinking of myself as a bit of an environmentalist and I don't even know what I've done to consider myself one. I care, that has to count for something?

Anywho...

A few months ago, sometime last Summer we bought these bags, pictured below. Thought, hey, we should move past recycling and start reducing what we use. We have always recycled our plastic bags from the grocery store but with these reusable bags, we won't even need the plastic ones. Here we are, months down the road and our reusable grocery bags work great! We use them to put food and books in when we go on trips, we use them all over the place, really great bags. And as a bonus we have used them maybe three times to put our groceries in! Smiths gives you five cents a bag.

No really, I feel bad that we don't use our bags more for groceries, they're even in our car when we get to the grocery store. Somewhere between getting out of the car and having a basket full of groceries we forget all about them. By the time I remember I'm standing in the checkout line (self checkout) and I think "CRAP!! I totally forgot my reusable grocery bags! I can't get them now because I have a basket full of food!"

Well, the bags are great! We use them all the time, just not for groceries and we love them. We will try harder to use them more when we go out shopping. Plastic bags are very bad for the environment, the making of the bags, and most of them end up stuck in a tree or in the ocean somewhere.


4 comments:

Deb and Stan said...

HA HA! I hear you about forgetting the bags! I have probably ten in my car, but I ALWAYS forget them! They are great bags for carrying anything!

One thing we do is go paperless billing wherever we can. Good luck with your greenishness!

Woodruff Family said...

Harmons also gives the .05 discount.

One thing we do is when we go for walks, we take a bag and clean up garbage or pick up cans and plastic bottles or anything that can be recycled.

You can save energy by turning off all power when your not in a room.

Don't drink water out of plastic bottles, but if you do, reuse the same one.

I can give you more ideas if you need them, but your a smart guy, I'm sure you can figure it out on your own.

cfernelius said...

I do the same thing. I buy the reusable bags and then I forget to take them into the grocery store! I'm glad I'm not the only one, and thanks for the reminder to keep working on it.

Walters Pride said...

Don't forget that you zeroscaped your park strip and you deep water your lawn.