Monday, March 16, 2009

Delicious


mmmm....well, this post isn't about good food, maybe I'll do one of those in the future. This post is about a sweet website/service that I love.

If you use only one computer to access the internet, then this website/service won't be that beneficial for you, or if you don't use your bookmarks. If you do use your bookmarks and use more then one computer to access the internet and you don't know about delicious, let me introduce you to one of the greatest things on the world wide web.

Why this service is so awesome? There is so much information online, millions of websites, with plenty of them that are worth visiting more then once. Remembering all those websites can be cumbersome and nearly impossible. Bookmarking a webpage to remember it is the best way to keep track of worth while websites.

Delicious is an online bookmark that allows you to bookmark web pages and access your bookmarks from any computer with internet access. This for me is a total life saver! I use way too many computers for no real apparent reason, other then I have two personal computers and two work computers. It also is helpful if you use computers at the library or school where typically you wouldn't bookmark.

Lets say for an example that while at work I come across an interesting website, or someone twitters a cool website, I take a quick look at the website and want to come back to it later when I have more time.

Without Delicious:
I bookmark it on my work computer, when I get home and want to better check out the website I have totally forgotten what the address was and spend half the night trying to find it. Eventually I give up and have to wait until I get back to work to look up the bookmark to re-find the website and write it down so I can find it at home.

With Delicious:
I bookmark the website on delicious, when I get home I log onto delicious and pull the website right up. Or if I'm out of town, using my laptop, I log into delicious and pull up any of my bookmarks.

Prior to using this service, I had different bookmarks on different computers, when doing research for a paper using different computers, this is not a good thing. Having different bookmarks on different computers is just a pain and sometime frustrating.

There is also a delicious toolbar shortcut that allows you to bookmark the website without ever leaving the website. You can share your bookmarks, or keep them private and you can view webpages that other people have bookmarked.

Now, you can sleep at night knowing that you no longer have to write down websites that you find on one computer to re-find them on another.

No comments: