Monday, July 21, 2008

Slimmy Mold



Garden gunk! That's what I have in my garden. It first appeared in May under my new tree in the park strip. I didn't think much of it other then it was gross. Then it appeared in my vegetable garden maybe two weeks ago! At first it looks like rising yeast coming out of my dirt. I was scared to touch it, thought it might melt my finger off or give me some kind of disease and then eat my finger off. After a day or two it hardens and turns more brown then the tanish/orange it starts out as. At first it was kinda in the middle of some tomatoes, so I still didn't worry but I started thinking about what it might be and how I was going to get a sample of it to the Western Garden gurus.

Then it decided to grow right next to my cucumbers and zucchinis! I begin to think that I would have to till up all my hard work and miss out on the wonderful harvest of fresh tomatoes and salsa. There were only two things I could do, configure a way to pick up and transport the gunk for a verdict or turn to the ever trustworthy, always loyal world wide web. Again the internet did not fail. I found all sorts of pics (do a google image search for garden mold) that looked just like what I have in my garden. Slimmy Mold! I found one blog that called it dog puke mold, cause after it hardens it does look a little like dog puke.



It turns out that slime mold is a harmless mold that thrives in moist mulch. Maybe I have been watering my garden too much? I proceeded to cut my garden watering down to every three to two days depending on how late I am to work. It's too early to tell if that will cut down on my puke mold, although it is harmless it is very unsightly in the garden.

Other then that my garden is doing great! I picked my first zuc and donated it to my mother-n-law. Looks like I'm going to have about five more this week, I planted way too many zucchinis. If anyone wants zucs, I'm going to have more then enough. I also have oregano, mint and basil coming out of the seams, if anyone would like any of those, feel free to stop by. My dang tomatoes are refusing to ripen. I have loads of green tomatoes and have for some time but have yet to partake of a delicious red tomato. Hopefully soon.

3 comments:

Deb and Stan said...

Hey, Bartha!

Stop watering the tomatoes...they need to stress a little for the tomatoes to ripen.

Are you drying the herbs? Great way to keep 'em.

Good luck!

Lindsay Clegg Sundloff said...

Taryn,
You are a great blogger, I am impressed. I need to step it up. I have added your blog to www.ths98.blogspot.com I hope you don't mind. It was great to see you the other day we need to do that more often. Take care.
Lindsay

Judy said...

B Bart - Yo ..How many zuccini plants did you plant? Only one next year. I have had 2 tomatoes ripen, but ours are near a fence and get a lot of heat. I didn't share them. I just ate them. Rude huh? LOVE your blog !!