Monday, December 1, 2008

Time of Year

Being in school makes this time of year CRAZY!! Add finals month on top of Turkey day, and the Holidays with all of it's craziness, I'm surprised that I haven't had a heart attack. The blog is getting a little ignored which is sad because I have so much I want to share with you all.

We had a timely discussion during Sunday School this past Sunday about being charitable, humble and giving to others. It wasn't the main subject of the lesson but was part of it. We were talking about how we need to have less pride and worry less about material goods and give to others.
Mormon 8:
37 For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted.


Some interesting comments were made about not giving to people who are begging for money for a various number of reasons, some comments came up about people taking advantage of free handouts instead of working hard to provide for themselves. This is a timely discussion with Christmas around the corner, seems more people give and are more charitable around Christmas time, though we should really be charitable all year long.

It is my personal policy not to give money to people who are begging for it. My policy is such because I personally would rather give what little I have to families or people who are trying to change their circumstance. But as I was thinking during Sunday School, who am I to judge? I don't know why they are begging for money or why they do what they can to take advantage of the system. I still feel though that there are plenty of charities to donate to that will hopefully put your money to good use. Here are a couple that I like:

The Road Home

The United Way



Here is a verse from a song that I think is amusing but not very appropriate song that I thought fit this post. I just added the verse that pertained to the post, I didn't post the whole song because, it's not Wednesday and I didn't want people listening to the whole song for this verse.

Lazyboy - Underwear goes Inside the Pants

This homeless guy asked me for money the other day.
I was about to give it to him and then I thought he was going to use it on drugs or alcohol.
And then I thought, that's what I'm going to use it on.
Why am I judging this poor bastard.
People love to judge homeless guys. Like if you give them money they're just going to waste it.
Well, he lives in a box, what do you want him to do? Save it up and buy a wall unit?
Take a little run to the store for a throw rug and a CD rack? He's homeless.
I walked behind this guy the other day.
A homeless guy asked him for money.
He looks right at the homeless guy and says why don't you go get a job you bum.
People always say that to homeless guys like it is so easy.
This homeless guy was wearing his underwear outside his pants.
Outside his pants. I'm guessing his resume isn't all up to date.
I'm predicting some problems during the interview process.
I'm pretty sure even McDonalds has a "underwear goes inside the pants" policy.
Not that they enforce it really strictly, but technically I'm sure it is on the books.

1 comment:

Woodruff Family said...

I am the type that looks the other way when passing a person of less fortune than myself. Frankly, I feel there is no need for any person in this counrty to go without. My husband is a good example to me. He is always willing to take a hungry individual to get a bite to eat or even purchase a bus ticket to a traveler in need. What I have learned from his experiences is that you can tell which individuals truly need and which ones are trying to scam the kind hearted by what they will accept. I feel it is important to donate what I can to organizations that help the needy, but I don't believe in cash donations to single individuals unless I know them personally. I have been humbled on many occassions while living in student housing at the U and even as we have lived here in St. George. There have been times when we have needed a helping hand and the Lord always knows who to inspire as His servants. If we will act according to have the Spirit with us, we will be inspired to help those who truly need a hand.