Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fathers Day

Father's day is about the same as Mother's day but instead of me changing all the diapers T changes all the diapers. You won't hear me complain about that at all, in fact we could use some more days were I don't have to change any diapers. We skipped church, using new baby Jonas as my excuse (how long can I use the new baby to skip church? he got me out of two weeks from work). We spent the afternoon at T's parents and then the evening at my parents. Lots of good food and crazy kids. I think that b drank a mt. dew this morning 'cause she was on one all day! Supper hyper and supper crazy!

This post is really about my garden. I finally took some pics. Strawberries are nearly impossible to grow! I planted a bunch last year, I think that I planted them a little to late in the season and their roots hadn't had time to establish when the heat hit, they didn't make it through July. This year I was able to plant them much earlier and the weather has stayed much cooler and that has made all the difference. What hasn't helped is poor soil and earwigs or whatever it is eating every reddening strawberry before I can get to it. So I have dumped fertilizers and bug dust on my strawberry patch, we'll see what happens. I converted a dying miniature rose bush garden into my strawberry patch, thats why there are roses on the ends of my strawberry patch.


I planted all sorts of tomatoes, lots of grape and cherry tomatoes, thats what the kids love. They are looking a little undernourished, so I added a box of fertilizer on them and hopefully we'll be eating tomatoes by the Fourth. I also have bell peppers, one hot pepper, zucchinis and cucumbers.


I have oregano growing out of my ears. I planted a verity of herbs last year that did so so, this year the oregano just took off like a bandit! If anyone wants fresh oregano just let me know. I froze a bushel, dried a bushel and I'm going to freeze more with olive oil and lemon juice in ice trays. This picture is after I harvested most of my oregano.


Now I have to get ready to can tomatoes so I have them all year and not just in the summer and I won't have to worry about salmonella.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your gardens! And your kids! How about putting on some updated pictures of your house and yard. I will come and visit sometime, but for now I would love to see pictures. Jann

Preston and Keri said...

Well aren't you a guy version of Martha Stewart?:)jk I think it's cool. Someday I'll have a garden.

Deb and Stan said...

I say "Bartha" Stewart!

Bradley, Bradley
Love you madly!
How does your garden grow?