Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The 801



I guess we are getting a new area code come March 1st. I think I knew this was coming but it was so long ago when it was in the news, I completely forgot about it. It makes no sense to me the way they are doing it. If you don't know or your like me and forgot all about it, here is what they are doing;

They are adding a new area code 385 to accommodate all the new #'s due to cell phones. They are not changing the boundaries of the 801, if you have an 801 area code now you will continue to have an 801 area code. If you get a new phone number, your area code will be 385 if you are in the 801 area code boundaries. I personally think that they should have split the 801 area code. This way, if I know you live in Ogden or Provo, I automatically know what your area code is, I don't have to guess if it's 801 or 385.

Now, no matter who or were you are calling you need to dial the area code first. For those of us who only use cell phones and most of the people you call are already saved in your phone, no problem. Just make sure that if you don't already, save the numbers with the area code. If you have a rotary phone, you might have some issues, more then just having to dial the 11 numbers every time you call someone.
More info

1 comment:

seanboymickey said...

Dude, I'm with you on the split. Makes WAY more sense to me too. I guess that's why we're not in charge.