Friday, September 19, 2008

Body World @ The Leonardo



Going on right now at The Leonardo is a crazy cool looking exhibit, Body World. I don't know if it's "art" as some people call it. I think of it more as science, showing what the body looks like doing different activities without any skin. This is a huge exhibit and it's amazing that Salt Lake City was able to get it.

Part of my job for the last year or so has been working with SLC on providing a grant for the old library to retrofit it. It's a "historical" building, using the term historical only in that it is old, I suppose some people enjoy the architecture. The historical part makes it really difficult to retrofit, because retrofitting usually requires new walls, beams and other forms of demolition/construction to make sure the building is still standing after an earthquake. Being a historical building makes all of this difficult and requires collaboration with all sorts of people. Any way, long story longer, they told us about body world some time ago and made us take blood oaths not to tell anyone. They are pretty excited about the exhibit and SLC is very lucky to get something like this.

Body World is open until December or January so you have plenty of time to visit. People who I have talked to it who have been to the exhibit say that it is a must see. I don't know when we will go, maybe some time in the next month or so, I will let you know what I think about it.

No comments: