Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Palace Beautiful



Palace Beautiful is a beautifully written book. I'm not just saying that because the author lives in my ward (thats why I read it) but because it is. Actually the ONLY reason I read this book is because the author lives in my ward. This is not my genre, I would have never in a million years picked this book up. If you go to my goodreads and check out my book list, this genre of teenage girl books is not there.

With that said, I ended up enjoying Palace Beautiful. It took me about 50 pages or so to get past the teenage girl part and into the book but after I let my prejudice go, I couldn't put it down. I loved the story and the way it was written. The book is about two sisters who move to the Avenues in Salt Lake City and find a journal in the attic of their new house. With a new friend the sisters read the journal of a 13 year old girl from 1918 during the Influenza and go though their own story of being 13 in 1985. While I enjoyed the main story, I LOVED the journal story!! The girls read the journal in sections, making you wait in anticipation for the next time they're going to read the journal. I have learned a lesson that I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Just because it's a book for teenage girls doesn't mean that I won't like it. I hate to admit this but Palace Beautiful made me cry a little. The story has a great life lesson for everyone every age and while I highly recommend this to all teenage girls I would also recommend it for all.

Who knows, with my new lesson in life I might even read the Twilight series.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow! Thanks for reading and reviewing my book, Brad! Don't worry, you aren't alone, all the men that have admitted to me that they read it, all said they cried, too. ;)

What a great review! Thanks!

-Sarah

cfernelius said...

Way to go Brad, give in to your feminine side! Seriously though, thanks for the recommendation - I'll have to read it. Also, if this book is well-written, you may not enjoy the Twilight series...Meyers is a good story-teller, not a good author.